Saturday, January 3, 2009

24 Dec - 28 Dec

24 Dec 2008

Met YK on 24th Dec. Thank goodness I sent Daryn off on the 23rd, so I knew what train to take and did not get lost. Here're directions for myself in case I forget (the cheapest way, not always the fastest way, i must admit).

-start of directions-
KIX is really really small. Arrivals are on the ground floor (1st floor), domestic arrivals and departures 2nd floor and international departures are on the 4th floor. So, when one arrives, one goes through the customs, go up to the 2nd floor, exit and head for the JR/Nankai train station. Buy the ticket to JR Kyobashi station (1160 yen) and take the train to Kyobashi. Train stops at Tennoji, where u can alight and go get Manneken waffles. Hehe, they're really good! If you stop at Tennoji, u should take the JR Osaka Loop Line to Kyobashi. Otherwise, just stay on the train all the way to Kyobashi. To Kyobashi, it takes about 1 hour 15 minute. To Tennoji, it takes about 45minutes (if I didn't calculate wrongly).

From Kyobashi, head to Keihan Main Line. I find the Keihan Main Line most convenient for going to Kyoto. Plus, it's cheaper, I think =P Costs around 400yen to get to Demachiyanagi (but I can't remember offhand). Take train towards Demachiyanagi and alight at whatever stop in Kyoto. The nearest stop to JR Kyoto Station is Shichijo. Exit and walk towards this stripped red and white tower. It takes about 15-20 minutes, depending on your pace.

OF COURSE, an alternative to get straight to Kyoto from KIX is to take Haruka Express. Ehem, can't remember the cost. Kinda expensive, I remember. Maybe around the range of 2000 yen or above. If you don't mind spending a bit more so that you don't have to transfer, that's the best way. PLUS, if u've got the JR pass, it's even better. it's free =)

-end of directions-

We took the Keihan Main Line to Shijo Station and went to Ichiensou Guesthouse to check in. It's a pretty small Guesthouse (10 beds max), but Yashi (the guy in charge) was super friendly and nice. So, I recommend this place if only for its location, which is in Gion. You can practically walk anywhere (if you know how to walk). So, if it were me, I'd stay in Ichiensou (if Okaasan doesn't allow me to stay with her. haha).

Then, we headed down to Sanjo-dori for parfait! haha, I don't know the name of the restaurant. Never got it in my head to note the restaurant. But I know it is just beside Kappa Sushi. =) If you exit from Keihan Sanjo, walk down Sanjo Ohashi (across the river) and walk all the way down... You'll find Kappa Sushi at the T-Junction. That's where we had our parfait (okay, and Omelette. The omelette was good too! =))

Went to Hikari Renaissance in Yodoyabashi =) Apparently, Daryn and I missed the light performance at 8pm. YK and I couldn't watch the light performance either cos Okaasan was expecting us for dinner. I thought it was prettier when Daryn and I were there... But then, that's just me.

Had dinner with Okaasan and Yuuko and Wataru and Hikari... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I miss Hikari and Wataru and Okaasannnnnnn. *sighs* One of the sad goodbyes... I told Hikari, "wasurenaidekudasai" (don't forget) and she replied, "wasureru!" (I will forget!) haha. so cute =P She's too young to understand that I will not see her for some time.. And may probably forget all about me. *sighs* such is the sad thing about parting.

25 Dec 2008

Was a bit late, cos I was packing my stuff (did not finish packing =X). Went to Yasaka Shrine. When Daryn and I went, we totally did not know that that was Yasaka Shrine. It's like damned famous and neither of us knew what shrine it was. -___- the dumbness of it all... Near Yasaka Shrine is a 24 hour eating place. Haha, YK did not like it the 2nd time we ate there... I was all right with it. Daryn and i had found it by accident one day. It was relatively cheap =) 280 for a bowl of soba/udon (without ingredients, of course). 390 for a plate of curry rice. It's okay for that price =) [I've been in Japan too long. 390 yen for a bowl of rice converted to SGD is like 6 dollars, and I'm saying that it's okay price?! I must be out of my mind!)

Caught the train at Kyoto Station. Note about JR Pass. YK and I found later on that we can actually reserve seats on the JR Pass! Well, if you're travelling to Tokyo from the Kansai area, I sort of think that it's a better idea to take from Osaka instead of Kyoto because that's the start of the line. It's Shin-Osaka to Tokyo Station (with Kyoto as a stop along the way). So, if you do not have a reserved seat, u should go to Shin-Osaka and wait for the train =) Oh, you should also research in advance the train timings. JR pass does not allow u to take Nozomi. Can take Kodama if u've got 10 hours to burn. Hikari (the next fastest train) has 5 unreserved carriage (Cars 1 - 5). Car 3 is smoking carriage if I'm not mistaken. Go there to get lung cancer.

When you reach Tokyo, remember to get the following at the train station:
- JR line map
- Tokyo Subway map
in both English and Japanese. If you can't read Kanji, you'd be screwed. So, make sure you get in both languages so u can compare the English and the Japanese and recognise the Kanji.

Anyways, reached Tokyo and went to Khaosan Annex at Asakusa Station. Very far away. But it's one of the cheapest hostels! At 2000yen, what can one ask for right? Only SGD30 per night! =) haha, I'm a sucker for cheap stuff.

Had dinner at Denny's (24 hours). It's located near Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate) of Sensoji, above a Kombini (I think it's 7-11). It's also near the Asakusa Tourist Centre so you can get maps of Tokyo there. I got most of my maps from there. Rather detailed too. =) Denny's was good. Haha, I enjoyed my spaghetti. I know, I know. WHAT AM I DOING EATING SPAGHETTI IN JAPAN? But it was good whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....

26 Dec 2008

We walked around Asakusa and walked to Ueno. It was damned bloody windy so, it was damned bloody cold. Haha, but I managed to convince YK to eat icecream! =P Haha. His was miso flavoured *shudders. it was horrible, HORRIBLE I TELL YOU!* Mine was chestnut. It was good *blissful grin* =) We both also went and qiu qian. I got 大吉 (according to the fortune thingie it says it's the best fortune. Good end to my year, wasn't it?) and YK got 吉 (better than 凶). Can't remember what his said except both of us had this: "the patient will get well". haha. so generic. Also had my first (and 2nd) cup of ama sake (甘酒). It was really nice. I think 0 alcoholic content. It was just very sweet and perfect for the weather where it was soooooooooo cold. And then there was kinako dango... Yummy! That was delicious too =)

Then, we wandered to Ueno. I wanted to visit the stupid Tokugawa Shogun's cemetery BUT apparently it was too far or it wasn't possible to locate. We stopped at some Music Academy to ask for directions. I asked some students in my broken Japanese and eventually gave up and asked in English. they didn't know how to respond to it. So, along came this ojisan (uncle) who asked me in fluent English where I wanted to go. Haha, and gave me directions in fluent English too! the three students were so amazed. "Sugei ojisan!" (amazing uncle) they chorused. Haha, it was so funny!!! YK said, "Now, we can never be sure who can speak English". I totally totally agree. it was so funny. We couldn't find the stupid cemetery lah. But found a random temple =) heh. It looked deserted but it's kinda fun to wander about in the dark. Later, on our way back, YK took a picture of the sugei ojisan =) Who worked as a trader in HK so that's why he could speak fluent English! =)

Did not get to go to Ameyoko Street in Ueno. It was closed by the time we wandered back dammit. I must go there someday! But we did wander through Ueno Park and got to see some really cool lights for Xmas =)

Then, went to Marui city (0101) and ate at this SUPER EXPENSIVE restaurant. I swear, I will never eat at the super expensive restaurant again (though it was interesting lah). Haha. The food was rather good, I must say. Just that... 6000 for 2 people is kinda... erm, expensive. We did, however, eat 2-year preserved garlic. Which was extremely interesting! haha. I liked it quite a bit. Maybe I should go put some garlic into vinegar and wait 2 years? =P Sadly, after we ate, then did I realise that I lost my file at Ueno Park. My file that contained all my booking information, my travel information and my flight details, my passport copy (luckily not my passport), maps etcetcetc. Sighs. It was... annoying and frustrating to say the least.

Then, from far, we saw lights! Haha, VERY VERY PRETTY LIGHTS. And, like a bug, I gravitated towards the lights. Really pretty, I swear. Haha, when YK comes back with the pictures I shall STEAL THEM ALL from him. MUAHAHAHAHA. At least his has powerful flash, so could take really cool pics. Mine is just a point and shoot, so doesn't work too well at night. =X

I think YK and I have something for strange food/drinks. Haha, so, we keep stepping into the Kombinis and examine the weirdest food possible. I think that day we tried black vinegar drink. I liked it, but he hated it. Okay, not LIKED it, but it was okay. Okaasan said it was good for health too! =)

I don't know when YK started having this thing for vending machines. Almost everytime we walk past one, he'd stop and look at the hot drinks. I think he spent at least 2000yen on those hot drinks from random vending machines, especially hot yuzu drinks, hot lemon drinks and hot lemon tea. Once, we bought a can of corn soup from the vending machine on our way walking from Harajuku to Shibuya. Imagine wandering around when it's super cold, and to be able to hold a can of hot soup in your hand... That's kinda nice, isn't it? =) I love jidouhanbaiki! (vending machines)

27 Dec 2008

I was still sore about my file loss so i was determined to find it at Ueno Park. But, no... Couldn't find it. Later, I was taken to the police station. Actually, all i wanted to do was to ask if they had the file. But, I didn't know how to say it. So I said, "file wa mayoimashita" [totally wrong totally wrong. That actually gives the indication that my file has legs and walked around and lost it's direction]. Eventually, told the police, "file.. ima... nai..." [file, now, don't have]. He assumed I wanted to log a missing article report, so sat me down for like 35 minutes or more asking this and that. Luckily I can explain. And luckily Alex and Daryn taught me the word, "taisetsu" (important).

Eventually, finally got to Akihabara (where we ate takoyaki! haha, but Osaka's version is better =P) and YK went and looked at camera equipment and comic stuff. I'd have enough of comic stuff at Bookoff. haha. So, was just wandering around looking at random trinkets. Was also at the tokyo anime center but it wasn't big. Just one small stall. A bit disappointing =X We visited a maid cafe. I think, Daryn has to bring me to the one she went. The victorian layout. Haha, I had an interesting time watching a creepy guy chat up a waitree-maid. It was.. erm, interesting, to say the least! haha. Yk commented that his eyes kept dipping to her boobs. I noticed that too! haha, it was kinda obvious. If I worked in the maid cafe, I'd be so totally creeped out. Can't remember what else we did after Yodobashi Camera store. I think we just went for supper and back to Khaosan.

28 Dec 2008

Went to Harajuku. Ehem, maybe maybe maybe should have gone to Yoyogi park. Haha, could possibly have seen more cosplayers there. Oh wells, next time then! Also wanted to go to Meiji jingu, but had no time. *sighs* One of the bad things about wanting to pack loads of activities in a day. Just cannot do it. Ate crepes at Harajuku! haha, it was delicious, I swear! =) *in heaven* also found a costume shop that was relatively cheap but did not allow trying on (but bought nothing, cos everything was too heavy and I don't think I can transport anything back given that my luggage then was already 28kg). Ahhhhhhhhhh, the clothes were really really cute though. haha, saw this really cute jacket with hood and with ears that I really wanted to get. Unfortunately, I don't think I could wear that and walk along the streets without people thinking I'm too act-cute or something.

But, something made me happy! We walked to Omotesando and ate R-style cafe's wagashi! haha. one of my last times eating warabi-mochi... Sighs, i miss it so much. I love it so much... *sobs*

After that, walked into this condom shop. haha, it was very funny, cos I remembered Jon asking me to get him some chocolate flavoured condom. Well, Jon, you're in luck! Cos I did buy it for u! haha, please await it eagerly =P

Shibuya is just a straight line down from Harajuku. So we walked down to Shibuya and passed many an expensive shop. =X In Shibuya... We went to Umegaoka, which Oscar recommended. There was a super super long queue but it was really good. Haha, Oscar really does recommend good food =)

It was an early night for us lah, cos the next day, we had to move out to Ikebukuro...

I shall end this post here for the moment. I need to pack my closet. And eat lunch. =) Bye...

1 comment:

  1. "OF COURSE, an alternative to get straight to Kyoto from KIX is to take Haruka Express. Ehem, can't remember the cost. Kinda expensive, I remember. Maybe around the range of 2000 yen or above."
    ** Are you crazy?! It was like, 3450!! XD;;; That's not in the 2000 range!

    Parfaiiiiiiiiiiiit~ ♥

    "I thought it was prettier when Daryn and I were there... But then, that's just me."
    ** It's because I'm cooler company. ^_~

    You... you... you... miss Wataru?!? Are you insane?!

    "Car 3 is smoking carriage if I'm not mistaken. Go there to get lung cancer."
    ** You were BORN to advertise for that car, dear.

    "When you reach Tokyo, remember to get the following at the train station:
    - JR line map
    - Tokyo Subway map"
    ** You know what? You sound like the official strategy guide for Pokémon Red/Blue. "When you reach XYZ, be sure to drop by ABC and get NMO. You can find these PKMN in the bushes there: - PkmnA, -PkmnB, -PkmnC."

    Chestnut ice-cream?! Take me theeeeeeere!

    I love the hot corn drinks~

    "...cos I remembered Jon asking me to get him some chocolate flavoured condom. Well, Jon, you're in luck! Cos I did buy it for u!"
    ** OMG, seriously?! XD;;; Lolz. Reminds me of a friend in 8th grade. She was known for being a gothic tramp, and the band teacher was making fun of her for something she did or said, joking that the friend must have chocolate-flavoured condoms in her bag. And her response, which totally gave her away, was "YOU WERE SNOOPING IN MY BAG?! HOW DID YOU KNOW?!" And the teacher gave her a "..." look. XD

    ReplyDelete