Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Kobe!

Haha, Otoosan took the day off to drive us to Kobe. So, the entire family (except Yuko who had to study for a test tomorrow), Hikaru, Momo and their mother plus Daryn went on this trip to Kobe.

Last night, Masayuki came and asked me where in Kobe I wanted to go after the "play" (which wasn't a play. It was an exhibition. Haha, what a big difference.). I flipped the guidebook and told him, "Hmm, since Kobe doesn't have many attractions (other than their beef!), I'll settle for the port and for Chinatown." Then I started laughing. I come to Japan to go Chinatown!!! hahahahahaha, Japanese Chinatown!!!

Well, anyways, went to the exhibition this morning. Because it's something like a museum, I didn't take photos except for one. It was possibly one of the most crowded exhibitions I've been in. While I loved all the different exhibits, it got a little annoying halfway. :( Cos it was so crowded, you can't see things you wanna see in greater detail. My favourite though was the tiger head coffin. It was carved exquisitely and looked well preserved (like duh, the exhibits were all in museums!). This exhibit was organized by the SGI (no wonder Otoosan was so excited to bring us there! haha.) Anyways, I noticed something interesting about the Japanese. They queued to see the exhibits! There was actually a line forming along the exhibits. So when I cut in, I got a few "okashii" looks... A QUEUE to see the exhibits. Whoever heard of that?! Haha, daryn really wanted to see this exhibit, so she stood in line. I tried to persuade her to get out of line and just go see it (lah) and she said, "If I get out, I'll lose my place in the line!" haha, important place, the line is.

I swear, this was the most entertaining part of the exhibit. Gundam Three Kingdoms. I'm not kidding. I swear! It's 三国演义 Gundam version. Haha, it was hilarious! I got soooo excited over it. But really, 三国演义 GUNDAM VERSION? Only the Japanese can pull this off!




Actually, we all thought that after the exhibit, we'd go our separate ways. Masayuki, Daryn and I off to explore Kobe, and the rest, back home. But apparently, they decided to come along with us too. haha. So, we ended up wandering to Chinatown.

The first picture is of Okaasan, Wataru and Hikari standing in front of the gateway to Chinatown. The second picture is of me with Hikari (the taller girl) and Momo (the younger girl). They are Okaasan's friend's daughters. Haha, look very much alike, ne? The third is of random pictures of Chinatown. I didn't take too many pictures though. Haha, cos, well, people were walking too fast for me to take good pictures. And how good can my pictures be? I did, however, want to take pictures of the street food they were serving. Haha. For the first time in 3 weeks, I actually miss Chinese food! Cos the street was filled with Chinese food... Like kou rou bao (which I like very very much), rice dumplings, xiao long bao (or as cher will call it, XLB), etc. haha... I also wanted to try their cold dan dan mian. Daryn wanted zha jiang mian. <3

But, we ended up at this buffet restaurant (1050 yen for about 18 dishes). Haha, Masayuki was so funny. He told Otoosan, "It's so cheap it's scary. What's wrong with it?" (Daryn translated it for me lah. that statement was quite funny. haha)

Well, we had sweet and sour pork (overly sweet), spring rolls (sweet potato: I love!), meat bao (sucked big time, I swear. It was horrendously dry), ramen (I don't like ramen in general), salad (which I liked very much), this cold tung hun looking thing (which I also liked very much), roasted duck (which was so good!), coconut milk and sago (which was equally good, and I had seconds, and usually I don't drink coconut milk cos it's so bad for ur health, but it tasted so good!!!), fried chicken (a little dry, and hard to chew, but otherwise fine :)), ma po tofu (okay lah, I'm not a fan of ma po tofu)... and a few more dishes but I didn't try all, so I can't tell u the names. Anyways, Okaasan and Otoosan both had a beer each. Masayuki wanted one too, but they told him firmly no. The reason isn't because he's underaged. But because he had to drive us home. The alcohol limit here is so low, u can go over it with just one beer. haha.

While walking to the harbour or bay or whatever, we came across this turkish icecream guy. I don't have a picture of it, but he was pulling the icecream. It was really cool. In this picture, he's twisting the cone around to show the stickiness of the icecream and how elastic it is. Pretty cool. I wanted one, but Daryn asked Hikaru's mother if it tasted the same. It did.
Around the same stall, two Japanese women asked us where the toilet was (like we'd know). We couldn't tell them where the toilet was, and they were freaking rude lah. I swear. This is the first time I've been so rudely dismissed. They were like, "Oh, chuugoku-jin." [oh, china people.] They turned away without even saying anything else, no, "sumimasen" or "iie" or anything! Neither Daryn nor me is from China. Her parents are from Korea, but she's American. And I am a Singaporean. The way they said it was offensive, and dismissive. So, Daryn was like, "Chuugoku-jin ja nai yo!" [we're not from China, I'm telling you!]

*rolls eyes* You get discrimination everywhere...

Here are some pictures of us walking to the Harbour and at the Harbour. Haha, nonsense pictures lah. :P










I was trying to climb onto the ledge. Very difficult since it was straight and very steep. The Kobe Maritime Museum is in the background (the white structure).

Port of Kobe! :)



















Haha, so, that's the port. Actually, would have liked to stay in Kobe longer, but... Hikaru's mother had to work. So, Masayuki had to drive her back (seeing that both Okaasan and Otoosan cannot drive). Otherwise, he'd have shown us around. We could, of course, have stayed by ourselves. But I didn't want to because: a) there are 2 transfers out of the Keihan Line. From Kobe, we had to take a subway to JR Loop, from JR Loop to Kyobashi (Keihan Line). If today were a Saturday, I would take the risk. After all, the worst (I think lah) is to be stuck at some station to await for the first train from Osaka (5am). Unfortunately, tomorrow I have class. And worse, tomorrow I have a Lesson Test (accounting for 10% of my grade I think...). So, no. No way risking it. We came back by the car. Anyways, Masayuki promised to bring us there (ah!! His classes start next week, better go before his classes start :( Since he's always so 忙しい = isogashi)

On our way walking to the parking area, I chanced upon this bike! Heh, the only reason why I would take a picture of it is because the colour reminds me of my dad's bike. haha...







I took some random pictures in the car. Haha.












All the children and adults (me included!) fell asleep. Only Daryn and Masayuki couldn't. Masayuki (obviously) cos he was driving. Daryn because Hikaru fell asleep on her in an awkward position. And I fell asleep on her on the other side. Haha, so she was stuck in a really uncomfortable position. It was so funny... Of course, not funny for her... =P When I eventually woke up, she said, "My back hurts!" and looked to Hikaru and we moved her in a better position so that Daryn's arm would somewhat be freed.

Haha, what a day it was. めちゃ楽しい!(enjoyed it very much) =)

Otoosan cooked dinner last night. It was delicious! He can really cook! haha, but then, everything to me is delicious :P We had nabe today, with different ingredients. I love udon. Udon is so... filling and chewy. Gives me some satisfaction to chew it. =)

I am able to hold a decent 2 minute conversation about the sea (海 = umi) with Hikaru's mother. very limited conversation, ne? But better than nothing! I somehow think my Japanese has improved quite a bit, but I'm lagging behind in a lot of the understanding. It somehow aggravates me when I cannot understand and i feel angry at myself for not putting in more effort, and keep relying on Daryn/Alex/Ann to explain stuff to me. :( ARG. I have to rely on myself and my Japanese more!!!

Haha, this is going to sound stupid. But I must say it!!! :P I observed something very important today! I find big brother-ly actions very very very adorable in guys! haha. Somehow, the standoffish from the younger sibling, yet caring for the younger sibling in a way is so attractive! hahaahahahahahahahahha. Okay, nevermind =P I've got examples, but then, citing them will make me sound stupid. SO, shan't cite it. =P

Yep, so, shall study hard for the test I keep talking about, but never get around to studying. :(

It's incredible. Where did all my time go?! By the time I'm done showering and with laundry, it'd already be 10pm. Where's the time to study?! *whines* oh wells. Yes, nonetheless, study I must.

2 comments:

  1. you are PATHETIC! so many nice food for your buffet and you are not a fan of them. PATHETIC, PATHETIC, PATHETIC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not pathetic! haha. I liked some of them okay!

    ReplyDelete