Monday, September 29, 2008

Updates and some comments

Fall decided to arrive in a spectacular fashion. It is around 14 - 16 degrees here. Remember, just a few days ago, it was 18 - 24 degrees. Today, it was expected to be 18 degrees, but when I last checked, it was 14 degrees. With light rain, the news said. Well, light rain but they neglected to mention the heavy wind. My ears felt like they were going to drop off. And my nose as well. And my fingers.

The rain is probably because of a nearing typhoon. Typhoon No. 15. Haha, I was telling Robbie this afternoon and he asked a super lame question, "So what happened to Typhoon No. 14?" haha. Cos the last typhoon that was around the area was Typhoon No. 13. When I met Kosuke on my way home, he was telling me how this weather surprised even the Japanese. Oh wells. When the typhoon decides to bypass us, maybe the weather won't be so cold :x

I bundled up today. For the first time since I got here, I wore the boots that Aunty Maggie got for me from China. I also, ehem, wore gloves, my long sleeved short jacket, long socks, and long tights.. When Okaasan saw me this morning, she laughed. "Mada!" she exclaimed. (mada = not yet). "Not time to wear gloves yet." But it was so cold!!!! The strange thing was... those gloves didn't really keep my fingers warm :( They kept me warm in Taiwan during winter leh. How come not today?? :(

Well, anyways, some updates about what happened last week, during those 2 days that I didn't update. Haha, didn't update because I didn't have time lah. And also, because it's pretty sian to write about some things...

Last Wednesday was the Lesson Test for Spoken Japanese. The Listening Comprehension was read really quickly. A little difficult, I thought. BUT BUT BUT!!! I got full marks for the test. Haha. 50/50! I'm so proud of myself. Those days of toiling over Minna no Nihongo did help! except now, we're getting to the part that I've never studied in my life. Like, the te forms, the ru verbs, the u verbs etc. Minna no Nihongo never did teach us that there are different verb forms. Only that there are different adjective forms (those that end with i and those that end with na).

Last Thursday was my presentation. We had to come up with a business idea and sell it to the class in 2 minutes. Then the class had to vote on which one they wanted the rest of the class to do projects on. Amazingly, mine was one of those that was voted in! It almost didn't get voted in though, cos I lost it by 1 vote. 12 to 13. But Prof Tracy was like, "Losing by one vote?! Come on!!! We're going to do it anyway." haha, so I get to do my own project idea! =) *crosses fingers* Hope this project goes well. haha.

Last Friday, Robbie and I went to hunt down the hyaku-en store that had the soft yarn. =) He bought a pair of knitting needles and a ball of yarn. Till now, I still haven't taught him how to cast-on, or how to start purling. Haha, but will do it soon. I bought 3 balls of soft yarn. One in white, one in white and pink, and the last in blue and white. They're all really really pretty. And for hyaku en, its not a bad price! :) The white one is coming along pretty nicely. Because it's furry, the fur actually hides my mistakes :) So it's looking good! When I'm done with it, will take pictures of it. Cos I'm pretty proud of it. Showed Masayuki on Friday night, and he was really impressed with it. Haha. He wasn't very impressed with the previous one (the pink cotton yarn) but this, he liked very much. Cos the yarn is so soft!!!

After shopping for the yarn at the hyaku-en store, met up with Daryn at Kuzuha Mall to go to Uniqlo. I successfully bought Cher's velvet jacket, cotton jacket and one piece dress. おめでとう! In addition to that, I bought 3 pairs of long socks and one fleece shirt. It says fleece on the sign, but then when I checked the tag, it says acrylic. Whatever, as long as I can wear it and be warm, that's all that matters =)

This past week has been a week of excessive spending. I just did my accounts and the damage to the pocket for around 1 month is 800. Hmm, I separated between one-off and ongoing expenses. On-going expenses are at around SGD431. Okay lah, considering how much stuff I do every weekend.

***

I was reminded of why I like to wander around by myself.

Because. It's on own time, own target, do ur own thing. The best part is, I can bring my own lunch without anyone saying anything about me bringing lunch and not eating at a restaurant. That grated on my nerves a little bit. I like to live my life in the way I see fit. I don't want to go to a restaurant, or feel the pressure to eat at a restaurant just because my friends want to. The last time I went to Kuzuha (not the time with Daryn, but the first time), my friends wanted to eat at some fancy restaurant. The damage was around 1000 (give or take). I skipped dinner that night, and bought bread from one of the supermarket. Instead, I sat in the restaurant watching them eat. Of course, given that it was a fancy restaurant, that's gotta be the price. It's a normal price. In Singapore, I spend like that quite often. But then, that was when I was doing part-time, doing research, or doing internship. Here, I have no income at all. So, it's save or die. Anyways, if my friends wanted to eat at a restaurant, then it's fine by me. I don't really care. So long as I don't have to spend. But if I have to, I'd rather go and wander around by myself.

For some strange reason, I find myself being less thoughtful of others nowadays. Or rather, I'm still respectful of others' wishes, but am very very agitated after a while if I feel that my time is being wasted. I'm sort of tired of giving into other people. I'm on a vacation (Kor won't agree with this sentence, as always. haha.. :P) and I want to make full use of my time now. This time is precious to me. So, to have to compromise with other people, it's like wasting my time. I am entitled to be selfish here. It's not like I'm loaded and can come to Japan every year (well, technically I could, if I worked hard enough lah)!

Ah, well. We'll see how the rest of the months go. Of course, it'd be rather lonely to explore places by myself, but... haha. We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Imagine waiting for 3-6 girls to decide where to have lunch. *shudders*

    Lone trips are a mix of loneliness and freedom. I once spent 1.5 weeks on a lone road trip in CA. If I lived there I'd do it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to explore places by myself, esp if the alternative is pesky companions! i'll rather die!

    anw, u got my new wordpress add right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To YK: Hmm, well, once u've served out ur bond, u can go live in CA? =) Anyways, haha, next time, u can ask them all to sit down, and decide where to go for lunch at 12.15. So when u eventually leave for lunch at 1, they'd be ready! =)

    To Jon: I replied u already. Dont need to reply.

    ReplyDelete