Thursday, September 4, 2008

Welcome dinner yesterday

I've got about 1.5 hours to kill before going down (or isit up?) to Kyoto for a 1/2 day trip. So I'm at the computer lab (again!) uploading pictures. Facebook photo album function works really slowly here. Can't even create a photo album without waiting 10,000 years for it.


Anyways, I've been asked about the food in Osaka. Hmm, during dinner last night, food was so good! (and free =P) so yeah, we had really fantastic food! Here are some pictures taken during the Welcome Dinner (which was held like some networking session) last night.














I smuggled food out from the Dinner party cos there was so much food left that I felt that it'd be a total waste if we didn't bring it out of the party. I smuggled 9 buns out (one for each room/apartment mate) and a friend (shall not mention who. I think a prof from KGU is a blog stalker! haha. so s/he might chance upon this :P) smuggled 2. haha. It was quite funny cos Lucia, one of my neighbours, thought I was joking when I said I was gonna smuggle them out. And no! It's not stealing! I swear! Cos we were entitled to the food. We were just saving them for the next morning's breakfast!



Wish I could have smuggled MORE food though! :(


This morning, my apartment mates just gave me another nickname: Mama. -_- Cos I heated up the buns for my "children". haha. But! Heated bread is really MUCH nicer than cold bread that's been left on the table, under aircondition for 12 hours! They were really nice and soft and fluffy to eat once we heated the buns up in the microwave! :) Erm, and also I kept hurrying them, "Hurry up! We're gonna be late!" Daryn thinks I've got a motherly streak in me. Erm, erm, erm... -_____- Naggy, a big worrier? Not a compliment! :(


We were, once again, late for the General Briefing today and so took the shortcut. I saw this beautiful house, with a beautiful garden. Wooden door, wooden sliding doors, absolute greenery... I cannot describe it in words the beauty of the scene... The sign outside (well, at least in chinese) says that it's a temple of sorts. The door was wide open, so anyone walking can just peek in. It's a scene right out of old japan! Once I get a fluent japanese-speaking human with me (Daryn will be gone tmr for homestay already! Damned.) I'd definitely ask for permission. Or maybe, on accounts of me being gaijin, they'd just ignore me? Or maybe I can ask Yuki to help me because he lives near the Seminar Houses. Whatever the case, I'll attempt to take a picture of the beautiful garden tmr, before I leave for homestay on Sunday.


Oh yes, and my obsession with curry rice must be documented! haha. I ate curry rice for lunch again today. And bought an onigiri. Netto went back to the Seminar House on bike. Should have asked him to bring my onigiri back to put in the fridge cos I want the onigiri for breakfast tomorrow :( Sighs. Now I've gotta bring my onigiri around on my Kyoto trip. *sighs*













But anyways, my curry rice! :) <3>




And they have soft-serve icecream. I was too late for the matcha. So, got the vanilla instead. and yuki very kindly queued with me so he could get the strawberry (ichigo!) icecream for me. haha. So here it is:












Yeah, I'm lame. haha. Taking pictures of obasan serving soft-serve icecream. I think everyone was stunned by how excited I was, taking pictures of anything and everything.


May be going for Karaoke tonight! 2000yen for 2 hours. *sighs* But, like Daryn keeps reminding me, "HOW OFTEN DO YOU COME TO JAPAN?" And there's free flow drinks. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic lah. :) So, don't worry about it. And my rashes aren't totally gone yet, so, I'd stay off alcohol! Val, my other roommate, drank 10 glasses of wine! haha, I can't believe it!


Haha, I hope in 2 months time, the exchange rate will be in my favour! So if, and this is really a big if, I ask my parents to wire money over, at least it won't be so ex! =) At least there's still some money in UOB that I can w/d thru ATM if I'm really really desperately cash-strapped.


I told some of my neighbours to come visit me in Singapore if they can. And they ask about the standard of living. I reply, "Oh, cheaper than Japan, definitely!" and they're like, "Japan is so cheap! Cheaper than Japan?!" To me, Japan is really expensive. Cafeteria food costs me $3 already. And that's one of the cheapest things I can find on campus. Which is why I'd prefer to eat just onigiri! Soba costs 150, but its noodles and I get hungry so easily... But, I'm proud of my abilities now to control hunger. I can go 5-6 hours without food! though, I'd complain I'm hungry lah, but I can go w/o fainting for that amount of time, when before that, I eat every 4 hours! Anyways, that's just cafeteria price you know. Food in town (Kyoto, Hirakata, Osaka) is 800 yen (10 bucks) per meal. Maybe I'm just overly thrifty lah. hahahahahaha. And no, I don't want to splurge. But I do want to stay in a ryokan :(


Hmm, should I, or should I not, drop a 0.5 course so that I can have friday evenings free? :) haha. Then I'd do 3 credits, and 6.5 credits in SMU next term [which could, potentially affect my GPA]. Daryn was like, "You're so studious, huey." haha, "You're so right, Daryn." Daryn advises to drop the course. And I feel that way too cos its a 0.5 course credit, and I shd just clear that in SMU lah. *sighs* But I don't want to do an extra term in SMU. $*#(()#)*% It'd just suck a lot.

Though, I feel that if, let's say I really really love Japan, maybe I should just get an internship here, and continue from end dec till next summer, so I'd be here a total of 1 year! haha. Maybe Prof Tracy can help. heh heh.


But letme see how it goes. For all I know, I'd hate japan and wish I were back ASAP? haha.


1/2 hour left till Kyoto! Yay! :)

*so exciting* Kyoto, Kyoto! Daryn's living in Kyoto for homestay... Wah.. I hope mine's in some nice neighbourhood: Neyagawa City.. Don't know where it is, but hope it'd be great homestay! *crosses fingers for luck*

No comments:

Post a Comment