Saturday, September 20, 2008

Kyoto Trip (15 Sept)

This is an entry that I wrote in my physical journal. Making some modifications to the journal entry, but it's more of less the same thing :) Here goes!

***

15 September 2008

Met Daryn. Spent 1/2 hour figuring out where exactly to go, and eventually decided to go and get lost of Kyoto. So, with a map in hand, we exited from Sanjo. Kanji is indeed very useful! Prevents us from getting lost :P At least, it prevents ME from getting lost, cos I recognise the kanji.

First, went to the hyaku-en store at Sanjo Keihan Station. Haha, tried on stuff and acted hiao =P It's in preparation for Halloween (which is a month away.. -_-||) But it's still fun to play around with these stuff. haha.



There are at least 7 exits at Sanjo Keihan Station. We couldn't figure out which to get out of, so decided to just select one. The weather today is very beautiful. Cloudy and windy and a bit drizzling. Just a little bit samui, but it's nothing that we cannot handle :)

Though we had the map, it wasn't a comprehensive map (in that it doesnt show the streets etc) so, we ended up sort of wandering towards Nijo street. Saw plenty of artists drawing on our wandering adventure, and I took a peek at some of them (daryn actually has one picture of the artist with her painting!) and they're so lifelike that it's incredible! *envies* I have no artistic ability at all.. *sobs*

Stopped by a florist because Daryn said, "Florists are nice and friendly" [stereotype!!!!] and was given the directions to Nijo (where we wanted to go to start the philosopher's walk)... The florist pointed us in a certain direction and off we went!










As the river was along the route the florist pointed us, we decided to walk along the river. It's very pretty. Very jdorama. Reminds me of Gokusen I where Shin would be lying down on the matted grass beside the river looking up into the sky thinking about his future. It gives a sense of... serenity, calmness and above all, it helps u appreciate nature just a little bit more. Artists, musicians, picnickers sit under huge trees like the one depicted in my picture. I think, the next time I go to Kyoto, I'll pack a bento and sit there to eat it. [no, no mosquitoes I think!] It's just so atmospheric!

We walked further down and passed by a shrine (I think is a shrine and not a temple).











My philosophy (albeit an unethical one sometimes) is: If it's open, you're free to go in. This shrine was open, though there were no visitors. Two priests sat opposite each other (medidating I think). We cannot take pictures inside the shrine so, we don't have pictures of what it is like inside. To me, it was very very bare. And rather dim, so I didn't notice a lot of details about the shrine... Plus, I had the feeling that we shouldn't be going in there [bad philosophy!] and so we left in quite a hurry....

Well, on our way hunting for Heian Jingu, we saw the Kyoto University. I still cannot believe that this old building is Kyoto University! Neither could Daryn, even though we observed students coming in on bicycle. Hmm, coming from a school which is just 8 years old, to see this old building be named as a university... well, quite difficult for me to accept lah... How can students do well in a university like this? How can the professors do good academic research???! Maybe I'm saying this from an etic point of view, so I shall shut up.

As we were lost, we asked for directions. At the place where we asked for directions, we found these:

Of course, seeing how cute they were, we bought them. Better still,
they kiss!!! There are magnets in their "lips" for them to kiss. Haha. Daryn's is for good health. Mine is for good luck in love. I hasten to correct you. u're probably thinking, "So desperate". But no! It's just because it was pink! If it were another colour, I'd prob have gotten something else! Trust me!!!! =P

Since we finally had accurate directions, we went to the Kyoto Handicrafts Centre. Expensive stuff, but I got my omiyage for my parents! =)

=) I love these presents. they are so cool!!!







Both of us were hungry by the time we left the Handicrafts Centre. So, we went to a Japanese restaurant.It was very funny, cos the two of us stood outside by the menu deciding what to eat. When we eventually stepped into the shop, the shop keeper said, "sorry, we're closed!" :( Sighs, so this is where the two of us went to get a taiyaki for lunch!

it's got either cream or red bean paste in it, depending on what u want. :) It's nice, just like Mr Bean's pancakes :)









Finally, after the taiyaki, we eventually reached the Heian Shrine! :)










The third picture is not of a tree. It's just that people tie their wishes to the tree. What happens is that after they finished chou qian, they will take this and tie it to this "tree". The 4th picture is of the wishes people have and hope to have it come true by writing it down on a small tablet. :)

The last picture if of a random procession. Dnt know what it is, but it's super cool!!! =) the music they were playing from the flute ws great too =)

I'm falling asleep, typing this out. So if you see rubbish comments, it's cos I was falling asleep while writing it. This is more of less what I need to say... Good night. Will update better tomorrow =)

No comments:

Post a Comment