Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Arashiyama - 24 Nov

I woke up at 6am, showered and got on to the train by 7.08a.m. (the Japanese trains are super punctual). Arrived at Shichi-jo Station, walked to JR Kyoto Station (actually was quite cold ~brr~), got onto the train and stopped at Saga Arashiyama (Platform 31 or 32 at Kyoto Station). I reached Arashiyama at around 8.40a.m. Rather early, but by that time, there were many people already.

My plan for the day: Get to Tenryuji Temple (the temple that I was supposed to be at when I was in Tokyo) and orientate myself. Get to the bamboo groves, the Togetsukyo Bridge, Monkey Park, Romantic Train and then go home.

Out of all those, I didn't do the Monkey Park, nor the Romantic Train, because it started raining after 3 hours =X Sighs. But, before it started raining, I got fantastic pictures :) I took a lot of pictures (175 to be exact) but I'm only putting up my best few pictures, because it's so sianz to wait for the pictures to upload :)

At Tenryuji Temple (Actually, ji already means temple, so having the word temple after ji is tautology! But since they call it that way, I'd just have to stick to it. =X)

Tenryuji Temple is the top of the Great Five Zen Temples. It is actually a UNESCO world heritage site.





























This is one of the "National Treasures". A beautiful garden with loads of fall colours. I didn't have the money to go into it though (it was 500 for entrance fee). Okay, wrong. I had the money, but was too stingy to spend it.

After Tenryuji, I was wandering around. So, at some corner, I noticed several people walking to a small path to the side. So, I followed. And... Tadah! I got to the famous Bamboo Groves :)




















The small road that leads into the Bamboo Groves.




















The Bamboo Groves path that seems to go on forever.















Bamboo! :)

I was taking pictures of myself and the bamboo grove when this very very nice old man came up to me and asked (in Japanese) if I needed him to take a photo of me. That was so nice of him! :) I meet really friendly people in Japan (even if I meet horrible cyclists who knock into me and never apologise).















The path continues Nonomiya Jinja (Shrine).


































I couldn't resist taking a picture of this, even though I know it's very rude of me to do so. I apologised to the Inari figures though! But, isn't it soooooooooo cute?

Anyways, continued my journey and found my way up (160metres) to an observatory deck. It would have been the most splendid thing I've seen, if I hadn't been up on Hieizan =) But it was still breath-taking. My photos look a bit blur, but that's because of the fog.















There were 3 observation decks. The last one was the best.















I've been looking for places to sit down and have my bento. :) And I found it at Arashiyama.















No, Okaasan did not wake up at 6am to make lunch for me. I brought sandwich along :) So, I sat here and finished my sandwich. In the midst of Nature's most wonderful beauty. It was absolutely breath-taking. I cannot emphasize how beautiful it was...














I like this shot the best out of all my Arashiyama pictures (even more than the previous one with the different tree colours) because it has all sorts of colours here: Orange, yellow, red, green.. The framing was really good (and it wasn't even deliberate. I'm a bad photographer, but Nature makes it seem as if I'm good).

Then, there was this really small and steep stairway that I saw an old man walking down from. So I decided to follow him. The stairs were really slippery and steep. Halfway, the old man saw me climbing down behind him, and interestingly, he stopped, waited for me to catch up with him before he continued downwards. He was actually waiting for me, and a little worried that I would slip and fall. When I eventually reached the bottom, we started chatting, in Japanese. For most part, I could understand (Sensei has really taught me well) and could reply him. He had been to Singapore twice, and liked Singapore very much (as if anyone would tell you he didn't like your country on your first meeting... haha). He told me he lived nearby and would often bike to Arashiyama because the view was so good. He also told me at night, there would be lights and the effect was wondrous (hence, the 2nd visit to Arashiyama on 20 dec).















He went on his way and I went exploring again. There is a boat tour from Kameoka to Arashiyama (2 hours, 3900 yen). You can take the Romantic Train (600yen) to Kameoka, and then the boat tour back. The boat seats 20 people and is handled by 3 rowers as seen from my picture.

And then, it started drizzling :(

But not before I got to Togetsukyo Bridge! :)















Tadah! The super famous bridge with Mt Arashiyama in the background :) I completed my most important mission of the trip.















Birds taking flight. They are so pretty and graceful. I can never stop watching birds taking flight, or trying to take pictures of them doing so.

I didn't have an umbrella, so had to rely on the hood of my autumn jacket. It didn't help much actually =X But then, I got this stupid idea of eating an icecream while walking in the rain without an umbrella.























Tadah. My icecream. Cookies and Cream.

It was a rather enjoyable experience, I must say... To have the wind blow at you, and raindrops on your face and on your icecream while you devour it happily is quite an experience. Haha. Next time, I'll eat icecream in Winter.















But then, I was super cold after that. So, was walking back to Saga-Arashiyama JR Station when I passed by this croquette shop. Usually, croquettes sell for 3 for 100yen. This croquette was 80yen. But, what the heck. I needed something warm to hold. It was beef flavoured croquette. Delicious :)















One of those new crazes in Japan, I think. It's matcha cream on bread. I regretted buying it, to be honest. I just wanted to try it out, but there was no one to share my food with me. Usually, if Daryn and I went out and I wanted to try something, she'd try it with me, and we'd share the cost. =X Ah well. it was a 250yen lesson.

I got back home at 1.30p.m. and received a call from my groupmate panicky and stressed out. Then, I became panicky and stressed out too =X Sighs. It was a good half of the day, until I got home and had to face reality of undone work and presentation impending. Oh wells. That's real life for you.

Hmm, I sort of regret doing what I did yesterday, walking in the rain. Because, I THINK I've fallen sick. This morning, woke up with a terrible sorethroat. And then, the whole day I've got the fever aches. So, I skipped the afternoon lessons to come home to sleep. Can't say I feel much better though. *sighs* But I couldn't sleep, that's why I'm blogging now. Oh wells. I hope to get well soon.

Next time I go out, will bring an umbrella. =X To think I lectured Daryn on the importance of bringing and umbrella! -_-||

2 comments:

  1. My laptop wallpaper used to be a really gorgeous photo of the Arashiyama bamboo grove! omg, I am SO going to Arashiyama too. And I want to visit the Kyoto handicraft centre. Heard you can try dyeing fans, making keychains, etc. all good for souvenirs =)

    Oh, are you travelling some more in Dec? I found some interesting specials at wwww.yjw2009.jp/eng most of the stuff is expensive, ne, but there are some free things. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Fiona: haha, yes, you HAVE to go to Arashiyama. It's one of those must-gos. Eh, I went to kyoto handicraft centre leh. But I didn't see all that dying fans and making keychains. How strange. =X

    And yep, I'll travel more. Haha, thanks for the website! =)

    ReplyDelete