Friday, November 28, 2008

My Senseis

I learnt a lot of conjugations since the start of this term. Robbie says that KGU is a bad place to study Japanese. Actually, personally speaking, I think it's a wonderful wonderful place to study Japanese. He says that there's no intensive Japanese courses (like in some other colleges, 20 hours of Japanese per week). I guess, having 20 hours of Japanese per week would help to improve the language skills by loads. Still, I like my Senseis (both SPJ and RWJ) and I like my class. I like the pace, and I think it's just nice, although sometimes a little fast for me. Especially when we haven't really caught on with the short forms or the te-forms yet. But, it's still manageable, as long as you do your own revision after class.

Yesterday, I studied the whole of Chapter 10 by myself. We're only covering till Chapter 9 this term. So, I took my Chapter 10 homework to Naito-Sensei and asked, "Would you please help me correct my work?" Actually I wanted to say, "I know it's above and beyond your call of duty, because you're only obliged to teach me till Chapter 9, but will you do it anyway, please?" But I didn't because she immediately said, "It's my pleasure to mark it for you." And she said it with such sincerity, you cannot doubt it.

Such is the greatness of a teacher in KGU.

I talked to both Senseis about my worry that when I go back Singapore, I wouldn't have time nor the determination to see my Japanese through. And I'm afraid I'd just give up on it, because the environment is not suitable for learning Japanese. Sakihabara-Sensei told me, "Well, you can write to me!" And she meant it too. Naito-Sensei suggested a teacher who'd gone from KGU to NUS to teach Japanese, and maybe I should look her up in NUS.

I really am thankful to my Senseis for their support. To Fiona, who chose KGU too, you chose the right university to be in. The (Japanese) teachers are not only very very friendly and approachable, they are also very kind and they take their teaching job seriously. They really are proud of their students when their students master new words, or new sentences. In all honesty, I'm touched by their sincerity and patience. I was observing this student in class who seemed to have all but given up on RWJ. Even then, Sakihabara-sensei would constantly, constantly encourage him. Naito-sensei is very very happy when students ask to see her during her consultation periods. They genuinely care for us.

I owe my ability to speak the language more fluently now in part to my senseis, who were very patient and answered my endless questions to the best of their ability. I think, the people I'd miss the most (other than Daryn and the host family) will be my teachers.

先生、ありがとうございます!先生は優しくて、いつも学生を手伝って、いちばん先生ですよ!私は先生を忘れないと思います。本当にありがとうございます!

***
And so, with Daryn's help, now I can express myself like this:

どうか、神様あたしにゆきさをください。その人、忘れてみたいですけど、全然忘れません。助けてください!悲しいですから。(Don't mind, Don't mind, Don't mind, Don't mind, なかないで。。。羞恥心持って!)

***
死ぬほどう咳がでます。 Again. Everyday is a losing fight with the virus. I have fallen, again, to cough. DAMNED IT. What's wrong with my body? It's so bloooooooooooooooooody weak lah. *($)#&*%($&*%($ And it has nothing to do with eating icecream on a cold day. A virus is spreading. Masayuki is sick too... =X

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really really good to know. I'm going to try hard to learn Japanese too. I get the feeling it'll be my favourite subject if I don't get Ceramics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) I don't know about u, but the endless quizzes and lesson tests are making me really tired. But they're really good for remembering the vocab :)

    hope u get ceramics!

    ReplyDelete