Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mount Hiei

I promised myself that I would visit Mount Hiei in autumn. Today, I finally did. And I do not regret it one bit. It cost me a lot of money for travelling. In fact, everything I spent today was on travelling. So, here are the directions, if anyone needs it (I'm talking about you, Fiona, haha):

Keihan Main Line from wherever you are to Demachiyanagi Station. But because I'm けち (stingy), I stopped at Sanjo (340yen) and walked along the Kawabata River to Demachiyanagi Station (30 minutes or so). From Demachiyanagi, take the Eizan Line. If you stop at Demachiyanagi Station, when you exit, you'd be in front of the Eizan Line anyways. Take the Eizan Line to Yase Hieizanguchi (260yen). Follow the crowd and walk to the Yase Cable Line (i.e. Cable Station). You take the Cable Line either to the Hiei Station or to Hiei Sancho (top of the mountain). I took it up to the top of the mountain (840yen). Basically, there's nothing to see. So was a little bit disappointed. I recommend then you take to Hiei Station and then climb up to Hiei Sancho. Like that you save about 300yen. I came down by the Keihan bus to Kyoto Station (580yen). There are many many stops, so you can stop at Demachiyanagi Keihan Station, Sanjo Keihan Station, Shijo Keihan Station if you wish too. But I wanted to take pictures of the architecture in Kyoto Station for Jia, so I went to JR Kyoto Station instead. It took me about 100 minutes. Very very long. And there was no seat at all, so I ended up standing for the entire bus ride =( Then, it was from Shichijo (closest Keihan Line to Kyoto Station) back (340yen). Very expensive day today was. And I didn't spend anything on omiyage, or on food. Altogether, very worth it though. Especially in Autumn.

Enryaku-ji was the main reason why I went to Mount Hiei. It's a Tendai temple and Nichiren, Shinran and Dogen all rejected its teachings and went on to form their own denominations (Nichiren = Nichiren-shu, Shinran = Pure Land Jodoshin-shu, Dogen = Soto-zen). Although the former students/disciples all criticised the Tendai sect quite badly, in the Daikodo Temple (大講堂), the pictures of former disciples were put up quite openly (and seemingly to advertise their connections to the Tendai Sect). Very strange, it was.

I took a total of 248 pictures today. This is the most number of pictures I took this semester. Facebook doesn't even have enough space for 1 album for my pictures. Haha. I will put my best 5 pictures here though.















This was taken inside the Cable Car. It's just to show the different colours of Autumn. The best views were actually when we were on our way down in the bus. (A) Because they refused to let people walk down the road and (B) if they allowed, I think given the way the drivers drive here, I'd be dead by now, I didn't get a really good shot =( If only I know how to drive. Or have someone who knows how to drive drive me there... (though I'd get car sick. haha.)















This was taken from a few metres below the top of the mountain (the mountain is 840metres above sea level). I think the picture is pretty cool. =)















This was taken just around the Cable Sakamoto. It's a different cable from the one I took (the longest cable in Japan, and more expensive than the Yase Cable =(). But the view... Oh, breathtaking.















This was taken from the viewing terrace at Sakamoto Cable Station. It's my best picture, I think. I love it :) And, if I'm not at all mistaken, that's Lake Biwa.















During one of those off the track times... I took this. I like the sky in it. It's so... pretty. 空 (sky).

So, I start out at Hiei Sancho (山頂) and hiked down (very slippery the walk was) to a mid point. After which, I sort of tagged along two groups of tour group to Enryaku-ji. Enryaku-ji costs 550yen, by the way. I walked out of Enryaku-ji, trying to find a way to the bottom of the mountain without taking the bus or the cable car (fat hope! I wish! If I did walk all the way down, I'd be still there now lah). So, wandered to Sakamoto Cable Station, and then did one of those off the tracks exploration. =X Sighs, sometimes, I wonder why I'm so curious and where my sense of caution went to. I keep doing these weird off to the side kinda exploration that I think will someday get me into trouble =X Anyways, wandered all the way down to some ulu-ated temple complex (ulu but well kept, so I guess someone must live there) till I came to a dead end. And then had to climb right back up. I seriously thought I was going to get pneumonia or something lah. The temperature was 8 degrees and I was panting like crazy. =X If Daryn were with me, she might have killed me. Haha. Luckily I was alone.

And, if anyone wants to nag at me about the dangers of travelling alone in a place where I can barely speak the language, I want to say... Although yeah, I went there alone, it's Autumn. There are plenty of tour groups for me to tag along with. There is strength in numbers. So, don't worry. It's only those little side trips that I keep taking because I want to know what else I've not seen... Okay, I'm not being reassuring, am I? Haha, but really, don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I've proven that so far, haven't I?

Anyways, after that half-dead exploration, I decided to go back before it got dark. Took the train to Kyoto Station (where we can take the Shinkansen from, instead of from Osaka).

It's a very interesting architecture piece, I must say... I think Jia will be interested in this.




















Merry Xmas! It's gonna be Xmas in about a month's time =( It also means I'm leaving in about a month's time. *SAD SAD SAD*















Taken in the Sky Garden at Kyoto Station.




















Who goes to Kyoto and not take a picture of Kyoto Tower? Just like, who goes to Tokyo and not take a picture of Tokyo Tower?















On my way back to Shichijo Station...

That concludes my very fulfilling day. I'm happy with my decision today.

Monday will be Arashiyama. Wednesday, Fushimi-Inari. Friday, all you can eat meat buffet.

Next next Monday, I'm thinking of skipping classes, but I might have presentation on Tuesday. Well, whatever. I'm skipping either Wednesday or Monday next next week. Because I want to go to Ohara. I keep seeing Ohara being advertised but I don't know what it is. I'm afraid of going too late, because if that's the case, then all the leaves would have fallen :(

I never knew Maple tree to be so beautiful. Haha, my favourite tree is the maple tree. <3















Taken just outside Yase Cable Car Station.

4 comments:

  1. it's simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with you that your 4th picture posted is the best picture! so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Huey-senpai...

    I think travelling alone would be something I would do too in Japan. And I would SOOO want to go off the path and explore! Maybe it's a good thing that we aren't both there together... Lol.

    And I love your pictures of and from Mt Hiei. Especially the one going down the valley to the lake and town. It's one of those pictures that makes me feel I'm there (but I've never experienced autumn before). Ah... subarashii ne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Nat: I think so too. =)

    To XZ: Haha. :P I got good pictures from Arashiyama too! Breathtaking views. <3

    To Fiona: You're welcome. =P I hope you enjoy your winter/spring time there. I was looking through postcards of Arashiyama in winter, where there's snow. It's amazing. Haha. =) So, you'll get good views too! =) And spring, where the cherry blossoms start blooming.. OMG. I'm so jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete