Sunday, November 2, 2008

Kita no Tenmangu Shrine - 25 Oct 2008, Hirakata-Koen - 26 Oct 2008

Two weekends ago, Daryn, Mio, Yui and I went to the Flea Market at Kita no Tenmangu Shrine. Actually, it was supposed to be: Daryn, Mio, Yui, Becca, Amy, Ashley, Robbie and me. Unfortunately, because the others were sort of hungover from the night before, so only the four of us managed to meet on time. We stopped at Demachiyanagi and walked 30-45 minutes to the Shrine. I almost thought we got lost, despite the very handy map. Luckily also we had Yui and Mio with us, so if we did get lost, they'd have helped us ask for directions and Daryn would have been relieved of her duties for a day. Haha.

The flea market at Kita no Tenmangu is held every 25 of the month, even if its not on a weekend. The one at Toji is held 21 of the month. I probably won't go to the one at Toji because the only time it falls on a weekend is in December. that's the day of my farewell party. =)

Flea markets are... Well, flea markets. You find just about anything and everything there. The one we went to was really huge. Loads of food, loads of kimonos that were going for 1000yen, but according to Daryn's Okaasan is over-priced. There was pottery, cloth, etc. A random assortment of things, basically. You also find some game stuff... Like at summer matsuris. Like the catching fish with paper nets.















And erm, I don't know what this is, but looks fun. Haha.





























From left to right: Mio, Daryn and Yui.

List of things I bought at the Flea Market:

a) Daryn and I bought a pair of earrings each in the shape of ribbons. My piercing kind of closed up because the pair that I brought over, Wataru lost one side of it in the car. So, I've never worn it since. Now I wear my earrings constantly because it really hurts to re-pierce my piercing :X

b) I also bought an omiyage (souvenir) for korkor and jiejie so when I go to Tokyo, I can give them something. It's very very cute!!! Very girly too. haha.

c) Honeycomb biscuits. I didn't know they were honeycomb biscuits. Mio and Yui didn't know what they were either. And because I'm always intrigued by things I don't know [erm, i.e. KPO] I bought it even though it was really expensive. It had a sort of burnt taste to it, and was damned bloody sweet. Even sweeter than the kind I'm used to [go to Cold Storage, NTUC or whichever supermarket and you can find the honeycomb from Nestle I think. It's called Violet Crumble]. After you take a bite of it, you're afraid you'd get diabetes or something.

d) I shared a packet of the following [something like kueh bahru?] with Daryn. Wanted to buy for the host family, but decided otherwise cos its really expensive >.<















Yui had to go off earlier, but Mio didn't. So, we walked from Kita no Tenmangu Shrine to Demachiyanagi station again.

While walking, I saw the word, "o man jyu" by the side. It was kinda out of the way, but I was practising my hiragana, so I caught sight of it and muttered to myself... " o man jyu". Then it clicked! Sweet bun! So, against Daryn's wishes, I charged into the shop and bought a mix of salty and sweet komanjyu (小饅頭) [ko = child. In this case, it means little man jyus]. The salty 小饅頭 were surprisingly nice, and the black sugar ones didn't taste as good as expected! =X To see a picture of it, please click here. I forgot to take a picture of my komanjyus. Hehe.

And, as usual, me being me, I led the others to a wandering off path to a random temple. We were walking just outside Doshisha University when I saw a sign that said, "Shokokuji". Since we had plenty of time, not rushing anywhere, I pulled them into it. You know, those off-beaten temples can be as pretty if not prettier than those really famous ones. Better still, its quiet, because it's out of the way. So, you get to feel really at peace, which is what temple grounds should be, I thought.


























































See? This is a wonderful picture. The two of them are framed by nature. If this were somewhere famous, you'd see somebody's head by the side, or somebody's umbrella, or somebody's hand, etc. It was almost completely empty. I think we saw less than 20 people there!




























Near Demachiyanagi Station, you see a mountain. And the mountain has the word, "大". There are other mountains with different words on it. I've yet to see the others though...
















Since both Daryn and I are misers (けち), we walked from Demachiyanagi Station down to Sanjo (which is our usual practice). It took us 3 hours in total for wandering from Kita no Tenmangu Shrine to Sanjo, where we had Kappa Sushi. I love Kappa Sushi! Haha, it's very nice and very fun! I like watching the little Shinkansens speeding by. It's so cute. =)

Although we didn't do much, and we walked a lot a lot, I still enjoyed my day. Haha. It's one of those aimless days, where you don't do anything, yet you feel contended. :) Daryn likes Mio (my speaking partner) and Mio likes Daryn. We got along well together, so no uncomfortable silences, no strange tension. =)

***

Otoosan brought Wataru, Hikari, Ayumi (their friend) and me to Hirakata Park. It was raining heavily, so we didnt get to do a lot of things. Okaasan woke up really really really early in the morning to make us all delicious bento though! haha. The park was kinda fun, in a way, despite the rain. It was a very kiddish kinda outing (because the other 3 were children, like duh). But I saw something very interesting! Didn't bring my camera, but luckily I had my phone with me. So I took pictures of a guy putting finishing touches to the beautiful flower girl.







































It's all fresh flowers. And this guy does it every day... It's an exhibition of sorts. Very interesting to just sit there and watch him.. =)

While Wataru and the others went to the animal "farm", I stood outside and patted dogs.




















My fringe is getting long and shaggy like this one. Haha. That's why I do what its owners do to it. I wear a clip or tie my hair back.




















Hehe. Lazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Looking at it sleep makes me wanna sleep too!

2 comments:

  1. haha..the big furry dog with the hair clip is so cute..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I so agree :)

    ReplyDelete